Tuesday, March 6, 2018



    Easy to carry around in a scabbard and unsheathed quicker than you can say, pumpershnickle  (said in an English accent); a sax knife is the best weapon during an attack or during trial by combat. It was normally called a sea ax then the two words “slid together” to form the shortened name sax. I personally call it a sax sword or Sax knife. It was used as either a knife or sword having a bone or wooden handle. Bone handles would be better because it would take longer for it to deteriorate. The sax knife was about 2 or 3 feet long and 6 inches wide.  The sax knife is strapped to your belt in a horizontal scabbard. Fun fact, the Germanic tribe, Saxons,  got their name from this popular knife they used.  Let’s say my knife got battered or bruised from war scars. Would I throw it away? No, it would be returned to  the blacksmith and made into different tools ; metal was rare and hard to find back then. So, if I ever find myself being attacked hopefully I have a trusty sax knife on me!

Brennan


No comments:

Post a Comment